Head Organiser & Assistant Skipper - Chloë McCardel
Chloë was awarded the title 'Queen of the English Channel' for her World Record 44 English Channel crossings.
In addition, she has coached over 160 people to swim the English Channel (Dover Straits route) in relays and as solos between 2014 and 2021.
She is the proud owner of the Channel Queen boat, is Assistant Skipper to Roy Beal and she is Head of Logistics for all the swim events.
Chloë has extensive experience running swim events and camps, swim safety and coaching experience.
In 2022, on Channel Queen, Chloë was Assistant Skipper for Roy Beal, Head Skipper for the following swims:
- Chloë's (her own) Hurst Castle to The Needles 6km swim (strong tides)
- Mark Critchlow, a legally blind swimmer, who had a bespoke swim experience finishing at Durdle Door
- The Charity Needles swim (strong tides) where Roy was in charge of 10 swimmers and three other crew looking after the swimmers
Chloë co-skippered, with Roy, a return trip from Southampton to the Channel Islands in October 2021. Chloë skippered through the treacherous passage of the Alderney tidal race. PLUS she has amassed other skippering hours in various sea / weather conditions as well as many Channel Queen transit journeys along the South Coast.
Head Skipper & Navigator Experience
Head Skipper, Navigator and Event Director for:
- Two Head2Head swims (across the entrance to Sydney Harbour). One of the swims (on April 22, 2023) including escorted 20 swimmers across whilst managing the nine volunteers, two TV stations, and five safety boats
- A solo swim from the entrance of Sydney Harbour (South Head) to the Opera House, 7.8km. Sydney Harbour is an extremely busy waterway due to its extensive commuter ferry network and popularity as a recreational hub for boaters and tourists
- Coached 160 people to swim English Channel as solo and relays
- Coached the oldest person to swim a double non-stop crossing of the English Channel - Rick Seirer - from country VIC at the age of 57
- Organised and coached over 12 cold water camps across Melbourne, Sydney, Jervis Bay (regional NSW), San Francisco and Dorset.
- Coached and Organised two Isle of Wight Relays in 2022 - full circumnavigations (90km)
- Chloë safety kayaked for multiple swimmers across the two 2022 Isle of Wight relays which were organised using Channel Queen and other support vessels
- Active Surf Life Saver - Bondi Surf Bathers' Life Saving Club, Australia's oldest Surf Life Saving Club, founded in 1907
- Watersafety on a 5m Rib for the Australian Outrigging Canoe Association's (AORCA's) 2023 Sydney Harbour Challenge, the qualifying event for the 2023 World Championships
Marathon Swimming Awards
She has been official recognised with awards by the International Swimming Hall of Fame (ISHOF), International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame (IMSHOF), Marathon Swimmers Federation (MSF), Guinness World Records and the Channel Swimming Association (CSA) for her outstanding achievements.
Channel Swimming Association (CSA)
- 2018 CSA Fastest swim on the highest tide
- 2017 CSA Fastest 2 way swim
- 2016 CSA Gold medal for the fastest swim of the year in 8 hours 51 minutes
- 2016 CSA Sotiraki trophy for the fastest swim by a lady in 8 hours 51 minutes
- 2016 CSA Belhedi trophy for the swim on the highest tide
- 2016 CSA Most solo crossings in a season in history with 8 crossings
- 2016 Inducted in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- 2015 Marathon Swimmers Federation solo swim of the year award for the most outstanding solo marathon swim of 2015 (Three-way English Channel swim. 63 miles (101.4 km) in 36 hours, 12 minutes)
- 2015 CSA Oldman trophy for the British Long Distance Swimming Association swimmer of the year
- 2015 CSA Mark Rickhuss trophy for the fastest 2 way swim in 22 hours 42 minutes
- 2015 CSA Captain Webb trophy for the fastest 3 way swim in 36 hours 12 minutes
- 2015 CSA Sotiraki trophy for the fastest swim by a lady in 8 hours 52 minutes
- 2015 CSA Van Audenaerde trophy for the greatest feat of endurance
- 2015 CSA Rosemary George trophy for the most meritorious swim of the year
- 2014 Marathon Swimmers Federation solo swim of the year award for the most outstanding solo marathon swim of 2014 (Unprecedented swim from South Eleuthera Island to Nassau, Bahamas. 124.4 kilometers (77.3 miles) in 41 hours, 21 minutes. New world record, longest unassisted ocean swim.)
- 2014 CSA Sotirake trophy for the fastest swim by a lady 9 hours 12 minutes
- 2012 CSA Gold medal for fastest swim of the year 9 hours 30 minutes
- 2012 CSA Sotirake trophy for the fastest swim by a lady 9 hours 30 minutes
- 2012 CSA Mark Rickhuss trophy for the fastest two-way swim 19 hours 20 minutes
- 2011 CSA Gold medal for fastest swim of the year 9 hours 3 minutes
- 2011 CSA Sotirake trophy for fastest swim by a lady 9 hours 3 minutes
- 2010 Nomination for open water swimming performance of the year on (Openwatersource.com)
- 2010 CSA Mark Rickhuss memorial trophy (Fastest solo two-way swim of the year) 21 hours 48 minutes
- 2010 The Van Audenaerde trophy for greatest feat of endurance
Other awards / nominations
- 2021 'Australian of the Year' nominee
- 2021 Finalist - Women's Health Women in Sport Awards.
- Joint-winner of Marie Clare’s 2020 ‘Women of the Year’ for her record breaking 35th Channel swim and advocacy work
- NSW Parliament passed a motion in 2020 congratulating Chloë on her 35th Channel swim (breaking the men's World Record for number of swims) and also for her advocacy work against domestic violence
- Royal Yachting Association (RYA) Day Skipper
- Royal Yachting Association (RYA) Powerboat Level 2
- Royal Yachting Association (RYA) VHF/DSC (SRC) Radio
- STCW Basic Safety Training (Marine Safety, Marine First-aid, Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting, Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities, Personal Survival Techniques, Security Awareness Training)
- ML5 - Successful completion of Medical Fitness Test for commercial skipper work in the UK
- Royal Life Saving Society of Australia (RLSSA) Pool Lifeguard
- Royal Life Saving Society of Australia (RLSSA) Bronze Certificate (Surf Lifesaving)
- Swim Coaches and Teaches Australia (SCTA) Bronze Coaching certificate